Lecturer in Healthcare Materials
0113 343 8083
28 University Road | Room B07
Laurea Magistrale (Polytechnic University of Turin -IT), PhD (University of Potsdam -DE)
Lecturer in Healthcare Materials (2016-), Senior Research Fellow at Clothworkers’ Centre for Textile Materials Innovation for Healthcare (2013-2016, University of Leeds), Research Fellow at WELMEC Centre of Excellence in Medical Engineering (2011-2013, University of Leeds), PhD fellow at Helmholtz-Zentrum Geesthacht Biomaterials Centre and University of Potsdam (2006-2010, DE)
Dr Tronci is a Lecturer in Healthcare Materials within the Clothworkers’ Centre for Textile Materials Innovation for Healthcare (CCTMIH), with a joint appointment with Leeds School of Dentistry. His research profile lies at the interface of biomaterials science, macromolecular science, and textile technology. He is particularly interested in the biomimetic design of functional material systems for relevant clinical applications, e.g. in the context of musculoskeletal and chronic wound care. He joined CCTMIH in 2013 as a Senior Research Fellow following his post-doctoral training within the WELMEC centre of excellence in medical engineering (University of Leeds, UK). Prior to joining the University of Leeds, he completed his undergraduate studies in biomedical engineering (Polytechnic University of Turin, IT) and a PhD in biomaterials (University of Potsdam, DE).
- Design of biomimetic systems for chronic wound, oral and musculoskeletal care
- Structure-property relationships and material multifunctionality
- Creation of bespoke material geometrics based on defined macromolecular systems
- High-value manufacture of medical devices
- Translational research
- TEXT 5133M: Textiles in Medical Devices and Healthcare Products (module leader)
- TEXT 5116M: Research Dissertation (tutor)
- Centre for Doctoral Training in Tissue Engineering and Regenerative Medicine (CDT TERM) lab placement (tutor)
(2017) “Influence of telopeptides on the structural and physical properties of polymeric and monomeric acid-soluble type I collagen”, Materials Science and Engineering C. 77: 823-827.
DOI: 10.1016/j.msec.2017.03.267, Repository URL: http://eprints.whiterose.ac.uk/114293/
(2017) “Hydrolytic and lysozymic degradability of chitosan systems with heparin-mimicking pendant groups”, Materials Letters. 188: 359-363.
DOI: 10.1016/j.matlet.2016.11.109, Repository URL: http://eprints.whiterose.ac.uk/108553/
(2017) “Thiol-ene photo-click collagen-PEG hydrogels: Impact of water-soluble photoinitiators on cell viability, gelation kinetics and rheological properties”, Polymers. 9.6
DOI: 10.3390/polym9060226, Repository URL: http://eprints.whiterose.ac.uk/117571/
(2016) “In Silico Modeling of the Rheological Properties of Covalently Cross-Linked Collagen Triple Helices”, ACS Biomaterials Science and Engineering. 2.8: 1224-1233.
DOI: 10.1021/acsbiomaterials.6b00115, Repository URL: http://eprints.whiterose.ac.uk/101506/
(2016) “An investigation into the nano-/micro-architecture of electrospun poly(ε-caprolactone) and self-assembling peptide fibers”, MRS Advances. 1.11: 711-716.
DOI: 10.1557/adv.2016.35, Repository URL: http://eprints.whiterose.ac.uk/93540/
(2016) “A structurally self-assembled peptide nano-architecture by one-step electrospinning”, Journal of Materials Chemistry B. 4.32: 5475-5485.
DOI: 10.1039/c6tb01164k, Repository URL: http://eprints.whiterose.ac.uk/102894/
(2016) “Influence of 4-vinylbenzylation on the rheological and swelling properties of photo activated collagen hydrogels”, MRS Advances. 1.8: 533-538.
DOI: 10.1557/adv.2015.11, Repository URL: http://eprints.whiterose.ac.uk/92566/
(2016) “Protease-sensitive atelocollagen hydrogels promote healing in a diabetic wound model”, Journal of Materials Chemistry B. 4.45: 7249-7258.
DOI: 10.1039/C6TB02268E, Repository URL: http://eprints.whiterose.ac.uk/106187/
(2015) “Wet-spinnability and crosslinked fibre properties of two collagen polypeptides with varied molecular weight”, International Journal of Biological Macromolecules. 81: 112-120.
DOI: 10.1016/j.ijbiomac.2015.07.053, Repository URL: http://eprints.whiterose.ac.uk/88536/
(2015) “Biomimetic wet-stable fibres via wet spinning and diacid-based crosslinking of collagen triple helices”, Polymer (United Kingdom). 77: 102-112.
DOI: 10.1016/j.polymer.2015.09.037, Repository URL: http://eprints.whiterose.ac.uk/90093/
(2015) “Investigation into the potential use of poly(vinyl alcohol)/methylglyoxal fibres as antibacterial wound dressing components”, Journal of Biomaterials Applications. 29.8: 1193-1200.
DOI: 10.1177/0885328214556159, Repository URL: http://eprints.whiterose.ac.uk/83833/
(2015) “One step creation of multifunctional 3D architectured hydrogels inducing bone regeneration”, Advanced Materials. 27.10: 1738-1744.
DOI: 10.1002/adma.201404787, Repository URL: http://eprints.whiterose.ac.uk/85025/
(2015) “Hydrogels: one step creation of multifunctional 3D architectured hydrogels inducing bone regeneration.”, Advanced Materials. 27.10: 1800-1800.
DOI: 10.1002/adma.201570071, Repository URL: http://eprints.whiterose.ac.uk/85031/
(2015) “Multi-scale Mechanical Characterization of Highly Swollen Photo-activated Collagen Hydrogels”, Journal of the Royal Society Interface. 12.102
DOI: 10.1098/rsif.2014.1079, Repository URL: http://eprints.whiterose.ac.uk/85027/
(2015) “Compositional and in Vitro Evaluation of Nonwoven Type I Collagen/Poly-dl-lactic Acid Scaffolds for Bone Regeneration.”, Journal of functional biomaterials. 6.3: 667-686.
DOI: 10.3390/jfb6030667, Repository URL: http://eprints.whiterose.ac.uk/88866/
(2014) “Tuneable drug-loading capability of chitosan hydrogels with varied network architectures”, Acta Biomaterialia. 10.2: 821-830.
DOI: 10.1016/j.actbio.2013.10.014, Repository URL: http://eprints.whiterose.ac.uk/80783/
(2013) “Photo-active collagen systems with controlled triple helix architecture”, Journal of Materials Chemistry. B. 30.1: 3705-3715.
DOI: 10.1039/c3tb20720j, Repository URL: http://eprints.whiterose.ac.uk/80784/
(2013) “Triple-helical collagen hydrogels via covalent aromatic functionalization with 1,3 phenylenediacetic acid”, Journal of Materials Chemistry B. 40.1: 5478-5488.
DOI: 10.1039/C3TB20218F, Repository URL: http://eprints.whiterose.ac.uk/80785/
(2012) “Photocrosslinked co-networks from glycidylmethacrylated gelatin and poly(ethylene glycol) methacrylates.”, Macromol Biosci. 12.4: 484-493.
(2010) “Controlled Change of Mechanical Properties during Hydrolytic Degradation of Polyester Urethane Networks”, MACROMOL CHEM PHYS. 211.2: 182-194.
(2010) “An entropy-elastic gelatin-based hydrogel system”, J MATER CHEM. 20.40: 8875-8884.
(2015) “Nonwoven scaffolds for bone regeneration”, In: Biomedical Textiles for Orthopaedic and Surgical Applications: Fundamentals, Applications and Tissue Engineering. 45-65
DOI: 10.1016/B978-1-78242-017-0.00003-9, Repository URL: http://eprints.whiterose.ac.uk/106971/
(2016) Click-crosslinkable Collagen Hydrogels For Cytocompatible 3D Culture In Regenerative Medicine. Proceedings: TISSUE ENGINEERING PART A 22: S126-S126.
Repository URL: http://eprints.whiterose.ac.uk/111921/
(2013) Structure-property-function relationships in triple helical collagen hydrogels. 2012 MRS Fall Meeting & Exhibit- Biomimetic, Bio-inspired and Self-Assembled Materials for Engineered Surfaces and Applications Proceedings: MRS Online Proceedings Library Cambridge University Press. 1498: 145-150.
DOI: 10.1557/opl.2012.1653, Repository URL: http://eprints.whiterose.ac.uk/85104/
(2011) Bioinspired porous materials for mineralized tissue formation. 4th International Conference on the Mechanics of Biomaterials and Tissues (2011)
(2014) Improvements in and relating to collagen based materials.
Thesis / Dissertations
Synthesis, characterization, and biological evaluation of gelatin-based scaffolds.
Research Projects & Grants
- “Proof of feasibility of GMP manufacture and pilot clinical evaluation of ‘HyFaCol’ hydrogels in digital ulcers of patients with Scleroderma”, EPSRC IAA (2017-2018, PI)
- “White Rose Mucosal Drug Delivery Network”, White Rose Collaboration award (2017-2018, Co-I)
- “Preclinical evaluation of new collagen membrane for guided bone regeneration in maxillofacial reconstruction”, MRC CiC (2016-2017, Co-I)
- “Tendon-bone tissue connector for rotator cuff tear repairs”, EPSRC MeDe Fresh Ideas Fund (2016, PI), joint with Newcastle University and UCL
- Wellcome Trust-ISSF academic fellowship at University of Michigan (USA, 2015)
- “Stratified design and manufacture of nonwoven collagen scaffolds”, MeDe Innovation Centre, University of Leeds (2014-2018, Co-I)
- “Investigation of the short and long range organisation in photo-activated collagen hydrogels” (MA-2796), European Synchrotron Radiation Facility (2015, PI)
- “Water Stable Collagen Wound Dressing Materials”, IKC PoC, University of Leeds (2014, Co-I)
- “Design of responsive chitosan-based hydrogels incorporating bioactive molecules as potential stem cell niches”, Great Britain Sasakawa Foundation Butterfield award (2012, Co-I)
Research Centres & Groups
- Textile Technology Research Group
- Clothworkers’ Centre for Textile Materials Innovation for Healthcare
- Dept. Oral Biology, School of Dentistry, St. James’s University Hospital
- Centre for Doctoral Training in Tissue Engineering and Regenerative Medicine (CDT TERM)
- EPSRC Centre for Innovative Manufacturing in Medical Devices (MeDe Innovation)
G. Tronci, “Synthesis, characterization and biological evaluation of gelatin-based scaffolds”, University of Potsdam (Germany, 2010), arXiv:1101.1651
- Member of the Royal Society of Chemistry
- Referee in peer-reviewed journals such as “Chemical Communications”, “Journal of Materials Chemistry”, “Soft Matter”, “Chemical Society Reviews” and “RSC Advances”
- PGCert in Professional Innovation Management, University of Leeds (2014)