Eun Suk Hur
Eunsuk Hur is a Ph.D. student at the School of Design at The University of Leeds in the UK. She holds a MA in Design for textile futures (Central Saint Martins College of Art and Design, 2009). Her background is in fashion and textile design; she has been looking to push the boundaries of fashion and interior design by exploring different materials and approaches leading to new textile futures. Her current ongoing doctoral research focus has been sustainable design tool and co-designing methodologies especially for the fashion and textile design sector.
Keywords – Sustainable fashion design, Idea generation, Design method and tools, Co-design, Design thinking integrating innovation, Eco-design tool, Design for sustainable behavior
This research project explores ways in which designers and user can work together to create more sustainable fashion, building on the ideas of systems thinking, co-design activities, community engagement practices and design innovation. The aim of the research is to develop a co-design system of fashion through the implementation of design and user research. The final result will provide designers and user with a new system for design engagement, inspiring positive behavior in people and improving the awareness of sustainable issues.
Associated research & papers
- Hur ES, Beverley KJ & Cassidy T (2011), The development of an ideation toolkit supporting sustainable fashion design and consumption, accepted for Research Journal of Textile and Apparel.
- Hur ES & Beverley KJ (2011), Design and Optimisation of a User-Engaged System for Sustainable Fashion, Proceedings of the Sustainable Innovation 16nd International Conference, 72-79, Farnham Castle International Briefing and Conference Centre (UK).
- Hur ES & Beverley KJ (2011, in press), The role of craft in a co-design system for sustainable fashion, Proceedings of the Making Futures : the Crafts as Change Maker in Sustainably Aware Cultures, 2nd International Conference, Devon (UK)
- Hur ES and Thomas BG (2011), Transformative Modular Textile Design, Proceedings of the Bridges Coimbra: Mathematical Connections Between Art, Music and Science Conference, 217-224, Coimbra (Portugal).
Research Projects & Grants
PhD & Postdoctoral Supervision
Design and optimisation of a user-engaged system for sustainable fashion
- CASAMICA’ Talent Scouting-in Milan Design Week, September (Italy, 2009)
- Selected for the Central Saint Martins Contemporary Collection 2009: UAL (UK, 2009)
- Korean Fine Arts Association,Category: Textile Craft , Special Selection Award (Korea,2004)
- Korea new new art festival, Category: Textile Craft, Runner-up (Korea,2004)
- Jinju Silk Design Contest: Runner-up (Korea,1999)
- Sunmi Textile Design Award : Special Selection Award (Korea, 1999)
- The Trafalgar Hilton Hotel Window display: commission work was sponsored by Jotta Magazine, London (February, 2010)
- Participation of the nonwoven Fashion & accessories project, INDEX11 in Geneva, sponsored by Lenzing in University of Leeds (April, 2011)
- Participation of the Future travel Project for ‘Samsonite’ in Central Saint Martins (June, 2008)
- The Bridges Coimbra,2010: Mathematical Connections Between Art, Music and Science Conference in Coimbra , Portugal (Presented Modular Textiles: Three pieces of scarves) (July,2011)
- “Warp Factor 09” Exhibition in Tokyo Design Centre, Japan (October ,2009)
- “Warp Factor 09” Exhibition in Guangzhou Academy of Fine Arts, China (October ,2009)
- “Warp Factor 09” Exhibition in Central Saint Martins, Lethaby Gallery, London(December 2009)
- “Gwangju Design Biennale”, Korea (September, 2009)
- “Tent London”- Is this textile? Exhibition, the Truman Brewery, London ( London Design Festival,September, 2009)
- “UP All Night” Exhibition in London (Central Saint Martins, Innovation gallery (London Design Festival, September, 2009)
- “Salone del Mobile” at Salone satellite in Milan (Milan Design Week, April, 2009)
- Eunsuk Hur 1th Solo Textiles Exhibition-INSA Gallery in Seoul ( August, 2004)
- Du magazine (April, 2008)
- AZURE magazine (April, 2009)
- Vogue Nippon (October, 2009)
- ELLE Decoration (September, 2009.)
- INTERNI Magazine (December,2009)
- Coolhunting (December, 2009)
- Kismet magazine (February,2010)
- Cover magazine (Sptember,2010)
- Jotta Magazine (February, 2010)