Eun Suk Hur
Teaching Fellow in Fashion Marketing
0113 343 3698
Eunsuk Hur is a teaching fellow in Fashion Marketing in the school of Design at University of Leeds. She is particularly interested in ‘The marketing imagination’, ‘Design thinking’, ‘Co-creation, Branding, Creativity, and Sustainability in the area of fashion and textile, and creative business. Prior to her academic career, Eunsuk has several years’ experience in various fashion and textile companies such as ‘Samsonite’, ‘Korean colour and fashion trend center (CFT)’, ‘LG Fashion and more. She also participated in industrial collaboration projects such as The Wool mark design (2012), Nonwoven project for Lenzing (2011) at the University of Leeds, ‘Future travel project for Samsonite’ (2008) at the Central Saint Martins, The Trafalgar Hilton Hotel Window display commission by Jota Magazine (2010), Arnold Daniel Palmer neck tie design (2008) and more. Her work has been exhibited internationally in venues including the Tokyo Design Centre, the Salone del Mobile’ at Salone satellite in Milan, the ’Gwangju Design Biennale’ in Korea, the Tent London during London design festival, the Apexart gallery in New York and more. She gained her PhD in sustainable fashion from the School of Design, University of Leeds and Master of Textile Future degree in Central Saint Martins (CSM), at University of the Arts London (UAL). You can find more information here regarding both PhD and Master Projects. eunsukhur.com
- Sustainable fashion & Textiles: Sustainable consumption and production, Social innovation, Method and tool development, Design thinking and Idea generation process
- Fashion marketing: Experiential marketing, Branding, Consumer behaviour, Co-creation, Digital media, E-tailing, Sustainable marketing and Small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs)
- Fashion & Textile design Innovation: Modular design, Computer-aid design, Social manufacturing, Laser cutting technology and Digital fabrication
Main activities and responsibilities
Teaching both Fashion Marketing (BA) and Fashion Enterprise (MA) courses. The modules covered include Fashion Marketing and Final Year Students’ Fashion marketing project- Research and Portfolio Development. I am also supervising final year dissertations on the topics of fashion, textile design and fashion marketing.
Content of the modules I teach:
Level 1: DESN 1355 Fashion Marketing: Module manager
Level 3: DESN3360 Fashion Marketing Major Project – Research
Level 3: DESN3370 Fashion Marketing Major Project – Realisation
- Level 3: DESN 3660 Independent Study Dissertation
MA: DESN5308M Fashion Marketing and Communications
MA: DESN5300M Fashion Marketing
MA: DESN5309M Dissertation: Fashion Enterprise and Society
MA: DESN5311M: Professional and Contextual Studies : Fashion Enterprise and Society
(2015) “Sustainable Fashion and Textiles through Participatory Design: A case study of modular textile design”, The Journal of the Korean Society of Knit Design. 13.3: 100-109.
Repository URL: http://eprints.whiterose.ac.uk/98185/
(2013) “The development of an ideation toolkit supporting sustainable fashion design and consumption”, Research Journal of Textile and Apparel. Vol. 17.No. 2: p89-p100.
Repository URL: http://eprints.whiterose.ac.uk/82477/
(2016) Integrating Sustainability in Business Planning for Fashion Enterprises. 2016 International Textiles & Costume Culture Conference Proceedings: 2016 International Textiles & Costume Culture Conference Proceedings The Costume Culture Association.
Repository URL: http://eprints.whiterose.ac.uk/109184/
(2015) A case study of integrating sustainability in fashion marketing education. Global Cleaner Production & Sustainable Consumption Conference Accelerating the Transition to Equitable Post Fossil-Carbon Societies
(2013) The role of craft in a co-design system for sustainable fashion. Tthe Making Futures: the Crafts as Change Maker in Sustainably Aware Cultures, Proceedings: Making Futures: The Crafts in the Context of Emerging Global Sustainability Agendas Plymouth College of Art: 2
Repository URL: http://eprints.whiterose.ac.uk/81260/
(2013) Seeding sustainability through social innovation in fashion design, Proceedings of the Crafting the Future. The Crafting the Future: the 10th European Academy of Design Conference Proceedings: The Crafting the Future: the 10th European Academy of Design Conference The European Academy of Design.
Repository URL: http://eprints.whiterose.ac.uk/81259/
(2011) Transformative Modular Textile Design. The Bridg 2011: Mathematical Connections between Art, Music and Science The Bridges Organization: art and mathematics.: p217-p244.
(2011) Design and Optimisation of a User-Engaged System for Sustainable Fashion. Proceedings of the Sustainable Innovation 16nd International Conference The Sustainable Innovation.: p72-p79.
(2013) The development of an ideation toolkit supporting sustainable fashion design and consumption. Research Journal of Textile and Apparel.
Vol. 17, No. 2, p89-100.
(2013) Seeding sustainability through social innovation in fashion design.
Research Projects & Grants
- 2015-Leeds Creative Labs partnered with The Hepworth : Participated the Hepworth Edition cohort
- 2014-Development of Communication Skills for Multidisciplinary Research-Transferable Skills Activity – Co-Investigator
- 2009-2013: 3-year funded PhD project: Design and optimisation of a user-engaged system for sustainable fashion
- 2009: Future Form, Sponsored by Jotta Magazine (£1000), The Trafalgar Hotel Window display, The Trafalgar Hilton Hotel, London, (19.02.2010~23.05. 2010).
Research Centres & Groups
Textile and Fashion Design
PhD & Postdoctoral Supervision
- Srisahakit, Natnicha, Completed (2016) –Local entrepreneurship: One Tambon One Product (OTOP)
- Sunhyo, Hyun, Completed (2016) – Store environment and consumer purchasing Behaviors
- Zhao, Jiaqi- Completed 2015, Chinese generation Y consumers’ perception of sustainable consumption and their intention
- Fu, Chi-Han, Completed 2015, Key factors affecting the purchasing decision of luxury brands in Taiwan
- Dallin, Zhang- Completed 2015, Investigation of magazine advertisement: focusing on generation Y female Chinese consumer behaviours
Hur, E.S. (2013) Design and optimisation of a user-engaged system for sustainable fashion, PhD thesis, School of Design, University of Leeds, UK.
- Leeds Creative Labs partnered with The Hepworth : Participated the Hepworth Edition cohort (2015)
- Professional panel: UK fashion and market research, “Korea Color & Fashion Trend Center” (UK, 2009-2012)
- ‘Tovoroni’: Supporting creative direction and branding (2012)
- ‘Keith’: Stylist for 2013 Autumn and Winter collection advertising (2013)
- Textile and laser cutting design: University of Leeds, sponsored by The Wool Mark Company (UK, 2012)
- Nonwoven Fashion scarves design, University of Leeds, sponsored by ‘Lenzing’ (UK, 2011)
- ‘The Trafalgar Hilton Hotel’ window display: Commission work, Sponsored by Jotta magazine, London (UK,2010)
- ‘Samsonite’ Future Travel Project, MA Design for Textile Futures, Central Saint Martins (UK, 2008)
- Arnold Daniel Palmer- Necktie Design: Design and creative direction (South Korea, 2006)
- 3-year PhD scholarship: School of Design University of Leeds (UK, 2009-2012)
- Selected for CASAMICA’ Talent Scouting: Milan Design Week, September (Italy, 2009)
- Selected for the CSM Contemporary Collection 2009: Central Saint Martin’s College of Art and Design, London Art and Design University (UK, 2009)
- Konkuk university, Postgraduate School of Design Prize ( South Korea, 2005)
- Korean Fine Arts Association, Runner-up, Category: Textile Craft (South Korea,2004)
- Korea new art festival, Special Selection Award, Category: Textile Craft (South Korea,2004)
- Busan Textile Design Contest, Special Selection Award (South Korea,2000)
- Sunmi Design Contest, Special Selection Award (South Korea,2000)
- Jinju Silk Design Contest: Runner-up, Textile design (South Korea,2000)
- Coding the Body: Apexart, New York, USA, Exhibited ‘Dress with wall hanging-Variable dimensions’, organised by Apexart, Leah Buechley (Associate Professor at the MIT Media Lab), (2014/03/19 ~ 2014/05/10).http://apexart.org/images/buechley.php
- Asian Cultural Heritage toward Future, Gyeonghuigung of Seoul Museum of Art, Seoul,Exhibited printingArtwork’,(2013/11/15 ~ 2013/11/21).
- Asian Cultural Heritage toward Future,Tianjin Academy of Fine Arts, Tianjin, China, Exhibited printing Artwork’,(2013/10/14 ~ 2013/10/21).
- Asian Cultural Heritage toward Future,National Yunlin University of Science and Technology, Yunlin, (2013/09/27 ~ 2013/10/03).
- Asian Cultural Heritage toward Future, Joshibi Art Museum, Sagamihara, japan, (2013/08/08 ~ 2013/08/10).
- Today’s Textile Art & Design, Bupyeong History Museum, Incheon, South Korea, (20/03/2013~27/03/2013).
- Architectural Colour Clash, Geneva Palexpo Switzerland, The World’s Leading Nonwovens Exhibition, INDEX 11, Exhibited three scarves design organised by University of Leeds, School of Design, (2011/04/12 ~ 2011/04/15).
- The Bridges Coimbra: Exhibited three scarves design, Mathematical Connections Between Art, Music and Science Conference in Coimbra , Portugal, (2011/07/27 ~ 2011/07/31).
- Blood, Sweat and Fears(BS&F), 65/67 Broadwick Street, Exhibited interactive installation with fashion design products, (2010/03/16 ~2010/03/21).
- Future Form, Sponsored by Jotta Magazine, The Trafalgar Hotel Window display, The Trafalgar Hilton Hotel, London, (19.02.2010~23.05. 2010).
- ‘Warp Factor 09’,Tokyo Design Centre, Exhibited fashion & textiles works, Japan, (2009/10/13 ~ 2009/10/19). http://www.design-center.co.jp/english/events/event_2009.html
- ‘Warp Factor 09’,Museum of Guangzhou Academy of Fine Arts, China, (2009/10/29 ~ 2009/11/01).
- ‘Warp Factor 09’,Lethaby Gallery, Central Saint Martins, London, (2009/11/06 ~ 2009/12/18).
- ‘Thirst – a strong and eager desire for something’, Beldam Gallery, Brunel University London, (2009/11/18 ~ 2010/01/26).
- ‘Gwangju Design Biennale’, Exhibited textile design installation, South Korea, (2009/09/18 ~ 2009/11/04).
- ‘Tent London’- Is this textiles?, The Truman Brewery, London Design Festival, (2009/09/21 ~ 2009/09/25).
- ‘UP All Night’ Exhibition, Central Saint Martins, Innovation gallery, London, (2009/09/21 ~ 2009/09/26).
- Textile futures Graduates Exhibition, Is this Textile?, Central Saint Martins, Southampton Row, London, UK, (2009/06/18 ~ 2009/06/30).
- United Design, Salone satellite, ‘Salone del Mobile, the Salone Internazionale del Mobile , Milan Design Week, Italy, (2009/04/22 ~ 2009/04/27).
- Samsonite Future Travel project exhibition, Central Saint Martins,Southampton Row, London, UK, 2008.
- Clarke-Braddock, S., and Harris, J. (2012). Digital visions for fashion and textiles,made in code. London, UK: Thames and Hudson.
- Cadigan, E. (2013)‘Textile for Fashion: Sourcing and Selection, Fairchild Books.
- Cover magazine (Sptember,2010)
- Re-Net (September 2009)
- Design House (September 2009)
- Japan Design Net (October 2009)
- Trend Hunter (September 2009)
- Metropolitan Home (September 2009)
- Kismet magazine (February,2010)
- AZURE magazine (April, 2009)
- Vogue Nippon (October, 2009)
- ELLE Decoration (September, 2009)
- INTERNI Magazine (December, 2009)
- Cool hunting (December, 2009)
- Du magazine (April, 2008)