Professor Chris CarrHead of School
“Our design philosophy is to unite creativity, technology, innovation and enterprise in order to realise ideas that have impact and exert influence.”
- You are here:
- School of Design
Through our research and education we identify need, propose effective solutions and develop creative potential to benefit our society and economy. We achieve this by uniting creativity, technology, innovation and enterprise to realise ideas that have impact, exert influence and generate commercial and cultural opportunities to improve the quality of life.
- PhD student Filippa Dobson creates heather "cup and ring" on Ilkley Moor as part of the regeneration of an area of land devastated by wild fire in 2006.
- This September Stephen Westland, Professor of Colour Science in the School of Design, was invited to teach at Huazhong University of Science and Technology, China.
- Society for Imaging Science and Technology, 2016 Service Award given to Vien Cheung (Design) for her many roles in organising conferences for 12 years.
- Two of our 2016 Textiles Design Graduates, Emily Conroy and Emily Rhodes have had their work featured in the Sept/Oct issue of prestigious “Embroidery” Magazine.
- Comprising of sculptures, photographs, film, and other documentation. The work responds to aspects of places in Malta, a small island in the Mediterranean Sea.
- Yorkshire Fashion Archive has teamed up with ULITA to look behind the scenes of the synthetics revolution with the aim of bringing the story of man-made fibres and how we interact with them to life.
- Gareth Griffiths, sculptor and School of Design technician hosts his exhibition looking into 3D printing and sculpture in the Foyer Gallery.
13th November — 1st December: Dialogue in Place: Volume III / Shifting Perspectives Joyce Lyon and Andrea ThomaDialogue in Place: Volume III / Shifting Perspectives is a collaborative project that has evolved from a dialogue between Joyce Lyon (University of Minnesota) and Andrea Thoma (School of Design, University of Leeds).